GEM - Group Exercise Mentoring Program
Have you wanted to become a Group Exercise Instructor? We can help!
Designed for the URI student who would like to become a group exercise instructor but does not yet have any work experience or certifications in the field. Free program, with the expectation that participants will obtain a Nationally Recognized Certification during or shortly after their training period.
REGISTER now-Feb 4th GEM Registration
Details: During the 6-week training period Feb-April, participants will:
- Attend 2 mandatory info/study sessions (Feb 4 @ 6:30-7:30pm and Feb 6 @ 10am-2pm) on campus to acquire foundational knowledge on anatomy, muscles/joint actions & corresponding exercises, class structure, safety, technique, and presentation. These sessions will also provide information and insight on certification requirements, industry standards, and job expectations.
- Choose one class to shadow- Attend this class regularly during the training period and meet with the instructor (mentor) to complete weekly reflections.
- Practice leading class segments, under the guidance and direction of the student mentor.
- Prepare and present a 20-minute audition demonstrating knowledge and instructor readiness skills
- Schedule an interview to discuss the direction and timeline of their certification and employment opportunities.
Saturday, February 6
Anna Fascitelli Fitness & Wellness Center
18 Butterfield Rd, Kingston Campus