2014 URI Cotton Summit: The 21st Century Global Apparel Value Chain and Implications for US Cotton in the World Marketplace
Monday, September 22, 2014 at 9:00am to 4:00pm
Memorial Union, Ballroom (227) 50 Lower College Road, Kingston RI 02881
The 2014 URI Cotton Summit will be held to raise public awareness of the importance of the cotton and related textile and apparel industry in the 21st century world economy.
The summit will also be an exciting forum where URI students and faculty can interact with industry leaders and policymakers on many cutting-edge issues facing the global textile and apparel industry today. For example:
• Is textile and apparel manufacturing coming back to the United States?
• What trade policy do we need to promote the exports of US cotton and related textile and apparel in the world marketplace?
• What is the global journal of a cotton T-shirt before it reaches the retail shop?
• How to make the textile and apparel industry play the right role in promoting economic growth, reducing poverty and creating decent jobs around the world?
We are pleased to announce the following distinguished guest speakers for the summit:
• Maria D’Andrea, Supervisor of Office of Textiles and Apparel, U.S. Department of Commerce
• Julia Hughes, President, U.S. Fashion Industry Association
• Augustine Tantillo, President & CEO, National Council of Textile Organizations
• Nate Herman, Vice President, American Apparel and Footwear Association
• Erin Ennis, Vice President, US-China Business Council
• Jon Devine, Senior Economist, Cotton Incorporated
• Dr. Kitty Dickerson, Consultant & Professor Emerita, University of Missouri
• Dr. Stacey Frederick, Research Scientist, Center on Globalization, Governance & Competitiveness at Duke University
• Robert Antoshak, Managing Director, Olah Inc.
• David Trumbull, Principal, Agathon Associates
The event is FREE and open to the public. Registration is required and will open until September 17 at http://uricotton2014.wordpress.com.
The 2014 URI Cotton Summit is hosted by the Department of Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design (www.uri.edu/hss/tmd) and sponsored by the Importer Support Program of the Cotton Board with supervision from Cotton Incorporated.
- Event Type
No recent activity